Friday 18 November 2011

Meet the Blogger and GBBO Contestant: Yasmin Limbert

Well, Great British Bake Off may have left the screens of British televisions, but I’m here to provide a little fragrance of summer remembrances with a blog post that continues the series of interviews with some of the Great British Bake Off contestants. And today I’m very pleased to welcome Yasmin Limbert to my little blog. I really enjoyed watched Yasmin on the show and felt that I really identified with her style of baking. And not only does Yasmin bake delicious goodies but she also has a blog where her readers are tempted by posts on tasty treats (illustrated in lovely photos), and can find blog posts on other things too. Yasmin can also be found on Twitter, where she tweets as @YasminLimbert.

Unfortunately, the Great British Bake Off* has not only disappeared from television but also from BBC iPlayer. However, I have noticed that the BBC’s The Great British Bake Off website has a section looking for participants in next year’s show. If you managed to catch this year’s series, which of Yasmin’s bakes was your favourite and what did you like most about the show? Leave a comment below this post and let me know!

Thank you for agreeing to be interviewed, Yasmin, and welcome to my little blog!

We’ll start with some quick-fire questions...

Sweet or savoury?

Savoury but I'm disappointed if I go out and don't get a pudding.

Marshmallows or jelly sweets?

Jelly sweets, in particular cherry's

Cupcake or cake?

Cake - Black forest Gateaux a bit retro but a classic

Baking in a competition or baking at home?

Baking at home definitely

Congratulations on getting on to the Great British Bake Off this year. You’ve come up with some really tasty looking dishes. What was it like and how has it changed you as a baker?

The Bake Off has given me a bit more confidence.  I always thought I good following a recipe but the competition has made me develop my own recipes and combinations so I feel a more accomplished cook now.

Where did you find inspiration for your recipes on the Great British Bake Off?

A few of the recipes were things a bake regularly for friends and my family.  Others came from flavours that I like and wanted to use.  It was difficult coming up with flavours that would be a bit different but not too daring that the judges would just reject for being weird.

What is your best bake that didn’t get any airtime?

There are a few recipes I was disappointed that didn't get air time in the first half of the series.  My hazelnut and blueberry tarts were a big success with the judges and my 3 tired passion cake with a cascade of flowers.

You have a great blog. How did you get into blogging, and what is your favourite recipe on your blog?

I was encouraged to blog by some of the other contestants on the show, my husband was also quite enthusiastic and helped me put it together.  My favourite recipe is always the last on.

Your blog has beautiful photos – do you take them yourself and how do you make them look so good?

I'm very lucky that my husband is a photographer so he takes the pictures, I just set them up and tell him what I want.

Apart from your own (!), which blog (or blogs) are your favourite or particularly inspire you?

I think all the contestants have really good blogs and everyone's is different but Mary-Anne's particularly stands out for me, she always has something so original in there, things I've never heard of and would never think of myself.  I'm always inspired by her recipes and her writing is hilarious.

And finally, in one sentence, what advice would you give an aspiring blogger?

Do what you want to do, not what you think people want and don't be scared to go off piste now and then.

* Disclaimer: I’ve chosen to interview Yasmin Limbert, and to talk about The Great British Bake Off, because I love the programme. I’ve not received any kind of compensation for this interview. All of Yasmin’s answers are copyright to her, and you will need to contact her if you want to replicate them in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment